Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 3....Starting a New Life







So, welcome to my blog! I'm new at this kind of thing so bear with me! :) Today is our third day in Hawaii! We got here Wednesday around 1400. (2:00 PM for all you civilians!) The airport was very neat! The concourses were all open to the outside! We picked up all of our bags and went to the USO (United Service Organization...I think) to sign in. So since Tyler's orders said Fort Shafter we had to go on base to sign in. We got our rental car (a jeep!!) and got directions and made it to the base. Once we were there, they didn't have him in their system so they had to find a place for him, and the only spot they could put him in his job (so that he could keep his bonus) was at Schofield Barracks. This is a bigger base on the same island. So then since he was no longer with Fort Shafter, that changed where we could stay for temporary lodging. The hotel on the base was full so we had to go to an alternate hotel near the airport. We finally got to our room and were able to get some rest!!






On Day 2 a sergeant came to the hotel to take us to Tyler's new unit headquarters and start in processing. His unit is actually on a seperate military reservation than Schofield Barracks. It's at Helemano Military Reservation. (only about 5-10 minutes from Schofield) So anyway, we went to a lot of different offices (housing, Tricare, Dental, etc) to get info updated. We are now on the waiting list for housing on base and the earliest we could get a townhome would be the end of the month. But hopefully we will get that one. (We rode by and it looks pretty nice! It has a small fenced backyard and a garage with storage!) Tyler had to take some tests online so we went to the ACS (Army Community Service). I looked at their job book that has all the available jobs in the area and got a bunch of handouts and information about things going on. We were done when Tyler finished his tests so we made it back to our hotel and rested! We ordered pizza, watched some TV, and went to bed early! :)






Today Tyler had to get up early to go to PT (physical training) and then more in processing, so I stayed at the hotel. I planned on laying by the pool all day, but it was cloudy this morning so I slept in and ate a late breakfast. The clouds are breaking tho so I get to lay out after lunch!! :) I am anxious for all of our things to get here and to have a car that I can drive! (I have to be 25 to drive the rental.) We feel kind of overwhelmed because of all the info being thrown at us so fast, but hopefully it will calm down next week. We are excited about the new base because it is in the middle of the island so the traffic is not nearly as bad and it is a lot quieter out that way. I have an appointment Tuesday with Navy Housing because we heard it was really nice and that they will take Army as well. They have a waiting list as well, but we will see how long it is...now I just have to figure out how to actually get to the appointment! :) They have a city bus system that is supposed to be pretty good, so we are going to try it out tonight and go towards Waikiki to get some good food! Some things seem to be more expensive but others are not. We ate breakfast yesterday morning at McDonalds and it was about the same prices, but this morning when I ate at the hotel it was very overpriced.






So, I am going to go soak up some sun now and plan our adventures for the weekend! "So, don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring it's own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:34 I stole this from a friends blog, but I have a feeling I am going to need to read it every day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment